Minus Resize text Plus     Print Icon  


Community Resource Links


Let us assist in your information search. Take a look at our Local Agencies list below for links to individual organizations and services.

Also see specific information and further links on such topics as:

If you are unable to find the information you are looking for while navigating through the links, feel free to contact our office by phone at (519) 885-6640, or contact us via email.

Local Agencies

Back to top


Housing Information Links

Accessible Housing

  • Traverse Independence
    • for people 16 years and older with physical disabilities and/or acquired brain injury
    • attendant services in a supportive housing setting
    • ABI day program
    • ABI outreach program
    • Call 519-741-5845
  • Kitchener Housing
    • Provides housing for people with disabilities who are single adults or childless couples under the age of 60 and able to live independently
    • For information call: 519-744-6655
    • South Waterloo Housing Authority, 519-575-4400
    • Community Information Centre of Waterloo Region
    • Maintains list of housing projects with accessible units and rent geared to income
    • Call: 519-579-3800

In-Home Support Services

  • Independent Living Centre
    • Attendant services
    • Meal preparation and light housekeeping
    • Respite services
    • Support services for those attending the University of Waterloo
    • Call: 519 571 6788
    • TTY: 519 571 7590
  • See the Community Support Connections link for further information on the following services:
    • Waterloo Regional Home Care Program
    • Offers professional, support and homemaker services to people who are physically disabled or elderly
    • Call: 519-883-2210 for information
    • Meals On Wheels:
    • Delivers hot, nutritious meals to client's homes
    • Call: (519) 772-8787 to register or for more information
  • Waterloo Regional Red Cross Homemaker Service
    • For people with disabilities, seniors, convalescents, new mothers
    • Personal care
    • Palliative care
    • Family relief
    • Assistance with household chores
    • Call: (519) 748-5002 for information
  • Lifeline Canada
    • Emergency response system for people who are disabled or elderly
    • Connected with St. Mary's Hospital
    • Call: 519-749-8008 for information
  • Grand River Accessibility Advisory Committee
    • The Grand River accessibility advisory committee (GRAAC) provides advice to local municipal councils about the identification, prevention and removal of barriers across the municipalities of Waterloo region for persons with disabilities.

    • For information call: 519-747-8651

Back to top


Legal Information

  • Law Society of Upper Canada
    • general legal information
    • information on how to get legal help
    • general legal information
    • information on how to get legal help
  • Lawyer Referral
    • best place to start if you have any sort of legal problem and aren't sure what to do about it
    • provides a referral to a lawyer in your area who will give you half an hour of free legal advice
    • call 1-800-268-8326
  • Waterloo Region Community Legal Services
    • for low income people
    • deals with disputes involving landlord-tenant problems, Workers Compensation, Canada Pension Plan, social assistance
    • Call 519-743-0254
  • Legal Aid (Waterloo Region Community Legal Services)
    • the place to call if you need a lawyer and can't afford to pay
    • Call: 519-743-4306
  • Community Justice Initiatives
    • victim-offender reconciliation
    • community mediation service
    • sexual abuse treatment program--help for both victims and offenders


  • Advocacy Resource Centre for the Handicapped
    • concerned particularly with defending the rights of people with disabilities
    • represents clients in precedent-setting cases
    • some costs covered, maybe all depending on client's financial situation
    • call (416) 482-8255
  • Barrier Free Recorded Information Line
    • call 1-800-387-4456
    • recorded messages telling if local court buildings are barrier free or not
    • covers all of Ontario
    • touch tone phone required to use it


Back to top



Local Transportation

  • Grand River Transit
    • has Mobility PLUS for people with disabilities
    • call 519-585-7597 ext. 7290 to register
    • call 519-741-2241 to book a ride
    • some regular routes have low floor, wheelchair accessible buses
  • Toronto Transit Commission



  • Access-Able
    • site to provide information useful to travellers with disabilities
    • Information on accessible accommodations
    • TTY and voice phone numbers for hotels
    • Travel tips
    • Accounts of other people's travel experiences
  • Canadian Transportation Agency
    • Information on accessible transportation
    • Publications and reports
    • Acts and regulations


Back to top



Primary & Secondary Schools

Post-Secondary Schools

Special Education Information

Back to top



Employment Listings


Employment Agencies

Additional Sites

Back to top




Accessibility For Ontarians With Disabilities Act

Social Assistance

ODSP The Social Assistance Reform Act was passed in 1998. It included the "Ontario Works Act" and the "Ontario Disability Support Program Act".

Tenants' Rights

  • Toronto Tenants Web Site, lots of tenants rights and other rental housing related information, relevant to all of Ontario
  • TenantNet, articles about landlord-tenant legislation


Back to top